Saturday 19 April 2014

Week 30: Sims complete but Autumn has arrived!

,Unfortunately this week I didn't get near the simulator again until Thursday, but that gave me a chance to pour over the operations manual as well as read ahead on upcoming lessons. I have now completed my four flights in the simulator that form the foundaiton of the MPL course, so the next time I manipulate the controls they will be in a Cessna 172 airborne over New Zealand. I am very very excited to say the least as I haven't flown since September (just before starting ground-school), so hopefully it won't take me too long to get back to standard.

The major difference I am finding with the course to any other sort of flying training, is the greater focus on the end goal and building a foundation to achieve it. A simple example is the approach, and how the pilot flies the aircraft. Normally when flying a light aircraft pitching (moving the nose up or down in relation to the horizon) controls the aircraft speed, and power controls rate of decent (how quickly terra firma comes up to meet us). However, in a jet with huge amounts of inertia this method wouldn't work as changes/adjustments would be unacceptably slow, so instead pitch controls rate of decent (point the nose where you want to go), and power controls speed (give it the beans and you'll go faster!). To get us flying like airline pilots, it is this method employed from the outset, so I gently had to re-learn quite an important skill! Another example is treating the cockpit as a multi-crew flight deck;. this means all checks are vocalised, giving a better defence against potential threats.


With time off I also had the chance to sort my car, and as promised here is 'the beast'. Surprisingly it drives rather well (asides from a knocking sound every so often!), and appears to sip on petrol, so ill accept the fact I look like an idiot! The name......as Andy and I are both fans of Norwich's favourite DJ Alan Partridge, we decided an appropriate name would be 'Lady Partridge'; and she's a classy girl, so no abuse!

As well as that, I this week managed to pick up one of these beauties. For the observant amongst you, you'll notice it's a ticket to watch England play the All Blacks in June. I feel like Charlie with his golden ticket to the chocolate factory!




The only other thing i've been up to was a walk around lake Tarawera, which is an absolutely huge crater left following the volcanic eruption of Mount Tarawera. Unfortunately our plan to climb the Mount was ruined when we arrived only to learn the foot of the mount was a days hike, so instead we followed the 'Tarawera trail', taking in what can only be described as the scenery from Jurassic park! As you can see, Nikesh is demonstrating his amusement at the amount of work Andy has done, and that was us at the halfway mark!

Finally, Happy Easter for those that celebrate, and for those that don't, enjoy all the chocolate. I'm waiting on the roster to be published to find out if i'm flying tomorrow, but even if i'm in chances are the flight will be cancelled as Autumn appears to have arrived in New Zealand, with half the Pacific deciding to pour on middle earth. The images below show the cloud brewing, and about 2 minutes later the result when it couldn't hold on any longer. Not exactly conducive to flight training!







No comments:

Post a Comment