Sunday 10 November 2013

Week 7: The letter of the Law

Unfortunately, as much as we'd all like to jump into a jet and clatter off into the blue yonder, akin to all other walks of life aviation has many rules/laws that must be followed in the pursuit of greater safety. These directives come from what could be seen as the governing body of all things aviation, the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), with member states being bound by the standards and recommended practices (SARPS) set out by ICAO, or approved national differences. Given that I am boring myself describing it, the Sherlock Holmes wannabes among you will quickly deduce that a week of Air Law is best described as 'cruel and unusual punishment'! But I did say I would give an impartial insight into training, warts 'n' all!

The subject is very broad, ranging from legislation and licencing (yawn), through to the rules of the air and airfield markings (slightly more relevant). We also looked at Air traffic services, something I am particularly knowledgeable about given I spent a few years stopping aircraft 'bumping' into each other, something which really ruins a holiday. It was this that demonstrated that Air traffic control and the flight deck are still worlds apart in their understanding of each others roles, as the air traffic section was very dumbed down, in the same way that the pilot workload was dumbed down during my training as a controller. However, in an attempt to improve understanding on both sides pilots are getting increasing opportunities to visit the area control centres, whilst controllers are sitting in the flight deck during revenue flights.

As some of you have followed my training (and the above titles) you'll be aware that I have been at Nursling for just short of two months. For those of you considering the training but initially put off by the prospect of 6 months in ground school, I can honestly say that the time flies by. I have 3 days of lectures left, a week of revision/mocks, a week off to revise thoroughly, then in the first week of December I get a crack at my module one exams. Between now and then ill have a birthday which most likely will pass without event due to revision, and also I have to endure having a moustache for three more weeks (thank you 'Movember'). That said, in the grand scheme of things these are all minor sacrifices and irritations for the ultimate goal of zooming round Europe in a shiny jet. I count myself lucky; I could be stuck in a fence while a cow laughs at me.....

Enjoy your week, and watch out for the sly fences that sneak up on you!


No comments:

Post a Comment